As early as 1865 religious meetings were held in individual homes in Ottawa County.

In 1877-1878 the Methodists built a small frame structure across the street from the present church building and then built a larger stone building on the present site.

Seven years later the structure was severely damaged by a storm and considered unsafe.

The present church structure was erected in 1886-1888 and valued at $10,500.

The certification of the Minneapolis Methodist Church is dated November 16, 1890.

The present parsonage was built on the corner of 5th and Elm Streets in 1917.

In October of 1943, Ada and Minneapolis became one charge with Rev. A.B. Madison as pastor. This arrangement of sharing the pastor continued until Ada’s closing in June 2019.

An organ was purchased in 1953 and a ground breaking ceremony was held for a new educational building in November of 1959.

James Joyce, son of Mr. and Mrs. Omar Joyce, was commissioned a missionary of the Methodist Church in 1953.

By 1977 the congregation was ready to construct a new church or remodel the old one. Committees were formed and an architect was given the task of preparing the two designs.

A first all-church proposal was voted down due to the large amount of indebtedness. By 1979 the committees went back to work, made changes to specifications and design and presented a new proposal at the May church charge conference. It passed by a large margin.

On September 7, 1981 the newly remodeled church was re-consecrated. The remodeled facility is air-conditioned and is handicapped accessible. The old stained glass windows were retained, as was the beautiful wooden buttressed ceiling in the sanctuary.

In 1984 a new organ was purchased.

Various funding projects have been undertaken by groups and classes. These have included rummage sales, cookbook sales, Christmas wrappings along with the annual chicken dinner, the food stand at the County Fair, the Men’s soup supper and ice cream socials.